Who I am
My name is Björn Jeffery and I run an advisory practice focused on digital strategy and consumer culture.
My previous job was as the CEO and Co-Founder of Toca Boca – one of the most successful mobile kids brands in the world with over 200,000,000 downloads globally. I’ve also run research & analysis for a global media company, a fashion blog for men, a web agency pioneering social media, a dance music blog with accompanying record label, and prior to that I was a relatively bad journalist. Here is my formal resume on Linkedin.
What I am interested in
I am interested in the near future and how to develop products and services that fit within it. I think this is best done by thoroughly understanding mobile and web, and adding to that a broader understanding of culture and its impact on consumer expectations. Simply knowing one of the two is not enough any more.
I bring a unique perspective in that I have both run extensive research and strategy projects, and developed entire companies of my own. I can look at macro trends without losing touch with the realities of running a business. I’ve done, and enjoyed, both.
I want to work in an independent and flexible manner. That is when I perform best. I’m happy to form alliances – temporary or otherwise – if and when that makes sense.
What I can do for you
Here are some examples of areas where I can be helpful:
- Advise executives that want to change or expand their digital business. They may want help in doing so, or a second opinion on what is about to be done.
- Research, write, and present reports on changes in mobile and consumer culture for executive teams.
- Develop strategies and plan for how to best perform on mobile ecosystems such as Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Advise funds or family offices on the fit and viability of potential investments in the consumer and mobile space.
- Develop strategies for products and services designed for kids and families.
How to get in touch
I’m based in San Francisco but I work on interesting projects with people and companies from all over the world. If you are interested in finding out if I can help in any way, please drop me a line and we can get things started.
Investing & Boards
I am a very small investor in the following companies:
- Clue – a period tracker focused on holistic female health.
Enjo – instant emotional support for parents.|| Acquired by KRY/LIVI in April 2019.
- One undisclosed startup in Sweden.
I am on the board of Acast, a podcasting platform.
I am a formal advisor to three companies in the education space.
How to learn more
Here are some selected articles that I have been interviewed for:
- The New Yorker – How To Make A Great Kids App
- Business Insider – A CEO explains how giving employees $2,300 and an extra week off work creates a competitive advantage
- USA Today – These kids apps highlight diversity
- Fast Company – 6 Tips On How To Make It In Silicon Valley, From A Successful Expat Transplant
- Recode – In Kids’ App Market, Toca Boca Plays the Long Game
And some selected conferences where I have spoken over the years:
- PSFK – New York
- The Conference – Malmö
- Lift – Geneva
- CreativeMornings – Stockholm
- Digital Kids Conference – San Francisco